Saturday, November 19, 2011

Summer Morning at the Quarry Pond, oil on canvas 20 x 24


Earlier this summer I was asked to have an exhibit of my work at the Slate Valley Museum in Granville, NY. (www.slatevalleymuseum.org) It was an honor to be asked to have a selection of paintings for an event which was scheduled in early October. I began working on several paintings with a strong focus of the area, including some paintings of the old slate quarries which dot the hillsides in this particular region of Vermont. To some these expanses of rocks are just that, piles and piles of rocks and scrap leftover from a time when slate was a very common material in the building industry. I look at these piles of rocks and see interesting colors, light patterns and in the case of this painting, some amazing reflections in the quarry ponds. When I was asked to participate, I had no idea that I would find so much material from which to work. I am always amazed that the best paintings are often found within a few moments from home. The museum sustained some significant damage from hurricane Irene, but they were repaired and ready to go by the opening in October. The opening event held a very celebratory atmosphere and I am very proud to have been a part. Recently, I submitted this painting for the 128th Annual Member's Exhibition at the Salmagundi Club NYC. This painting was awarded the Arthur T. Hill Memorial Award for a landscape by an artist under the age of 45.
www.andreworr.com

No comments: