Friday, May 27, 2011

Summer in Vermont, oil on canvas, 20 x 24


A very influential teacher once said to me, "blue, green and yellow an interesting painting does not make." Well, living in Vermont, the "Green Mountain State" it is often hard to find a way out of all of the greens of summer. I try to vary the greens pushing a lot of red and umber into the mixes to warm them. Also, I try to have much variation with regard to warm and cool tones. With this particular painting, I realized what caught my attention was the interesting composition. So in addition to variation of green tones, warm and cool tones, compositional interest can also add some variety in an otherwise overly green painting. Regardless, this was a lot of fun to work on and I hope that I conveyed the scene as a warm, humid, late summer day in Vermont.
Summer in Vermont
oil on canvas
20 x 24
artsteph1@aol.com
www.andreworr.com

No comments: